Which link would you rather click on?
I’m guessing you probably said the second one. That’s because it gives you a clue as to what you will be seeing once you click the link. Many of us are (rightly so) a little leery of clicking short links just because you can’t see where it leads. By customizing your bit,ly links, you can increase your click through rate. When I look at my bit.ly analytics, I can see that I get more views on custom links than generic ones. Best of all, it’s easy to do!
How to Get a Custom Bit.ly Link
- Enter your post into bit.ly (log in first to be able to use analytics) or use the bit.ly sidebar while on your post.
- In the custom bit.ly section, type in a few short words that explain your link. No spaces. Keep it short.
- click save. If it saves, great! If not it’s because that link has already been used. Try a variation and if you still aren’t having luck, add a little code that signifies your blog. For example maybe bit.ly/blogpost is taken but bit.ly/blogpostBBB might not be (BBB for Biannual Blogathon Bash.) I use short forms for all my blogs when I’m making notes and such. CR, GG, SMS and BBB.
- That’s it! Share your custom link.
- NOTE: Bit.ly links are CASE SENSITIVE. So if blogpost is taken, BlogPost might not be, or BLOGPOST or bLOGpOST for that matter, although I don’t recommend that one.
- I entered what I wanted in the customize box. I tried custombitly but it said that was taken so I tried CustomBitly and it worked.
Ways to Use Your Custom Link
- Draw interest to your giveaways (bit.ly/ipadgiveawayCR)
- Use the most popular words that pertain to your post to draw clicks (bit.ly/MonsterHigh)
- Use a short sentence that will draw interest in finding out more (bit.ly/5WaysWithBacon)
If you have any more ideas, I’d love to hear them!